Each year i like to be reminded as to why we celebrate the day of Jesus Christs birth.
Since i was quite young, i always just assumed Jesus existed.. i never questioned it because i was never given the option. In R.E it was more of a 'and then he rose from the dead! Can you believe it!!?' I thought this awesome man just lived among us but had amazing healing powers. It wasn't until i grew up a little bit that mum and dad gave us the option. They never said he was or wasn't 'real'.. Jesus as a man actually existed, but whether or not he was the messiah, i find it hard to believe that one all mighty being impregnated a woman on earth.
1. After that Simpsons episode with God, i will always imagine HIM with a white beard and sandals.
2. As much as i believe in Aliens (to which i have never SEEN but just couldn't NOT believe that out of all the planets in all the universe in all the galaxies that WE are the only living breathing organisms.) I can't grasp the fact that one out-of-this-world creator is responsible for the actions and decisions we make.
3. I remember Grandma use to read the bible before bed and read us passages, i questioned what would happen if we didn't believe and she said something about is not being let in the pearly gates. In my head they were literal huge white beautiful rustic pearl and diamond gates.. and behind them was this secret garden.
4. I watched ALOT of Tony Robinson growing up. No WONDER i thought it was a huge adventure story.. he himself is not one to say if Jesus was real, he just took the bible and described everything as is, jumping through tombs.. the galloping of horses.. splitting the red sea.. the story is amazing... as a story.
5. Pay told me that thunder was god banging his drum.... What kid doesn't find thunder fun after hearing that God use to like rock'n roll?
I'm not saying there isn't a higher power, i am a very spiritual person and believe that there is some things in this world that we will NEVER have proof or fact for, and you know what? I'm quite happy with that. I'm quite happy to believe that something bigger, something more unique that we can ever even conjure up is there, where? No place, not sitting on some throne throwing lightning bolts.
And at Easter and Christmas, there is always that child like side of me that wishes that this man did rise from the dead. Whether or not i live my life for him, whether he is the direct reason we are here on earth(because the big bang theory just has the dude from rosanne in it.) People can have that much faith in something they have never seen, felt, touched, heard or even been blessed for.. people that see their families slaughtered still believe that it's okay, because god is there, watching out for them.
So the real reason i wrote this is because last christmas i volunteered at the Refugee Christmas Party. I don't think Volunteering is something to make you feel nice, i genuinely think that if the help is needed than it is our right as human beings to give back. In whatever reason. I have had so much fun with volunteering that now i find it hard to NOT. I called around and asked where i could help this year and nearly EVERY place was 'full'... i didn't know whether to be pissed off or completely gob smacked. THAT'S FUCKING BEAUTIFUL! They had TOO MANY people wanting to help?
Anyway, so they gave me a call back and i'm doing the Christmas Party again! Tomorrow day before work. I am so looking forward to it.
And after work, me and Bhoy'de Bhoy are going to get G&J and go Christmas light hunting before spinning past some Ice Cream parlour for a lickity split.
For the 12 days of Christmas i decided to give something up each day, that i take for granted.
So some of the things i have given up;
* Coca Cola
* A Bra
* My phone
* The Computer
* My Car
* Without Make Up
* Without Jewelry
* Spending Money(this was most difficult.)
I don't smoke.
I don't really watch TV
I don't drink.
And i can't really escape the radio because of work.
I have 4 days to go and i am STUMPED for ideas on what else to give up...
I can't really give up showering or not talking or something, because 1. that's gross.. and 2. i'm a puppy school teacher....
So if you have any ideas; i'd love to know.
Christmas day is *A DAY WITHOUT FEELING GUILTY.
*A DAY WITHOUT REGRET
For the week following Christmas i am going to do something completely bizarre everyday.
Whether it be...
Ice cream for Breakfast
Wearing a shirt and tie
outside the square...
Okay; now i must depart and finish this helluva good Banana and Mango smoothie... 2 for you Glenn Coco.. you go Glenn Coco...
If i don't speak to you before then; Merry Christmas my darlings.
Whether you believe or not, may you have a happy, safe and sparkling wine(or Maison) Christmas.. celebrate, raise a glass, dance around and be happy.